About Our Courses
Why Creative Writing?
I offer creative writing classes to children because I want to teach them how to write brilliant stories!
Children LOVE to create characters and new worlds. Gifted children as well as children with dyslexia and other learning difficulties excel in my classes because the focus is on fun and they can write about whatever they want: unicorns, bombs, animals, war, friendship, loss or anything at all. Most importantly the children are given the opportunity to express themselves and be heard when they read their work aloud in class.
I loved to read as a child and I thought authors were magical beings – I still do. My greatest dream was that I would one day write a novel and become one of those magical beings too – eventually it happened!
As a child, I didn’t think that I could become an author for two reasons:
- I wasn’t very good at spelling. Their, shoes and diary were particularly difficult words for me. I still get some words muddled up.
- I didn’t think I was good enough. I don’t want this to happen to other children.
It gives me the greatest of pleasure to encourage children, especially anxious ones, to escape into their own imagination. I want them to experience the thrill of creating their own stories, and to know that this tool is available to them whenever they find real life difficult. Discovering they can create stories, gives children an immense boost in confidence and appreciation for themselves.
My Aim is:
- to encourage children to believe in themselves and know that they can write fantastic stories too.
- to help children find this precious place inside themselves.
- to create the next generation of storytellers.